First, let's talk about Zodwa. She's around 18 and works in Pastor Gift's house. That's really about all I knew about her. She was quiet, plus she didn't know much English. Little did I know, she had an incredible story. Me being a creeper, I found a blog about her. It was written in April of 2009, so it was a few months before we got to Nsoko. At the age of ten, her mother died. Her siblings had all left, whether they lived somewhere else or were just gone. She was all alone. She cleaned houses to survive, and that sustained her needs for about 4 years. Then she had to resort to the inevitable. She had to begin selling her body. She was 14 years old, y'all. And that's the fate for SO many of these young girls. It's either that or death. So, she decided to fight for her life and stay alive. This blog was written less than a year ago, 2 months before we arrived, and Zodwa was still selling her body to survive. I would have never known. We knew her as Pastor Gift's helper. A nanny. A housekeeper. By employing Zodwa and letting her live with them, Pastor Gift literally saved her life. Even with the economy now, we don't realize the extent of what not having a "job" can do. They have to use the only means they have to survive, and for the women/girls, that is their bodies.
Being the creeper that I am, I found some recent Swazi pictures and ran across one of a girl around 16 that we ministered to. Her name is Nombali. And... she now works for Pastor Gift as a translator. I love seeing how God is working and changing the lives of these young women. Not only does this prevent her having the same fate as Zodwa, but she's going to be face to face with scripture everyday while she translates. She's going to grow just like Majabane did. I'm so excited for the opportunities she's going to have as she works for Pastor Gift.







No comments:
Post a Comment