Saturday, May 29, 2010

May 29th

A year ago today I was on my way to Gainesville, Georgia, embarking on a journey that proved to change my life. That day I met nineteen people, and even though I was scared out of my mind, they were absolutely incredible. They became family, some of which are still some of my best friends. Four days later we were on a plane headed for a tiny country in southern Africa. That summer I was challenged physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. I grew, and I continued to grow after I came back.

Now, one year later, this summer cannot look anymore opposite than the last. I’m not in the process of meeting nineteen incredible strangers that will change my life and outlook on the world. I’m not on my way to a country halfway around the world. I’m staying here, right in north Georgia. This is what my day looks like, almost every day: wake up, go to class, drive an hour to work, deal with unruly children at a daycare, drive an hour back to school, and then go to bed. Then I do it again the next day. Even though this summer has turned into a never-ending routine that isn’t exactly as exciting as being in Africa, that doesn’t mean I can’t grow like I did there. That doesn’t mean I shouldn’t push myself. It’s time I’ve challenged myself to grow here just as much as I grew there.

No comments:

Post a Comment