Monday, September 14, 2009

Where do I go from here?

Throughout high school I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life. God had blessed me with a talent, and I wanted to use it and make a career out of it. I decided I was going to illustrate children's books... sounds pretty awesome, huh?
God first started pulling me in another direction when I started working at a daycare. Those kids melted my heart... well some of them anyway. I started questioning my future. What the heck am I supposed to do with my life? I considered changing majors, being a teacher, going into children's ministry... something. I realized that I hate doing art if I'm getting paid for it, and if it became a job I knew I'd come to despise it. I realized I didn't have a passion for it; I was just good at it and enjoyed it.
So, what to do? I just continued on the art path. And to tell you the truth, I think it was because I knew it would be easier. Yeah, I know. Then I signed up to go to Africa. Started questioning whether I could be a missionary. I thought there was no way that would happen, so pushed it out of mind. Then I went to Africa. It stole my heart. Then I had to leave. I can't tell you how much I didn't want to. I knew I could have moved there and been perfectly happy. When I got back, I was a wreck. I wanted to go back so bad. I felt God calling me to live there. Maybe not in Nsoko, but somewhere in Africa. Then after a while I started questioning that. I still missed Africa just as much, but knew I'd miss my friends and family if I moved halfway across the world for at least a year.
What to do? Then I started thinking about maybe doing graphic design stuff at a church and going on their missions. Sounds pretty cool, right? These past few weeks, I've missed Africa so much. It's been intensely tugging on my heart. I feel like I can't be happy unless I'm there. With His children in Africa. 2 months is just not enough. Everything in me wants to hop on a plane and take a visit to Nsoko. Even if I had more than $7 in the bank, this is just not feasable. At this point, I want to live in Africa. Maybe for a year. Maybe for 2. Maybe for even more longterm. But I don't know. I don't know what God has in store for my life. I can't keep choosing the easy way. Africa certainly is not the easy way. Getting my parents' approval is just one of many obstacles. But God is bigger than obstacles.
I miss Africa. God's put that country on my heart so intensely that I can't see myself doing any other thing with my life. Yet, I'm still confused, and I'm still lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment